Hometown: Kenmare, ND
Education: NDSU: Ag and Biosystems Engineering | UND: MBA
Name of Businesses: Missouri Shore Holdings LLC, Captain’s Corner LLC, Pirate’s Pier LLC
How did you get started? My first property was a condo I purchased in Dickinson. Luckily, it was during the upswing in oil activity, so it didn’t take long to transition from condos to apartment buildings. I have since moved into luxury river rentals in the Lakewood and Bridgeview bays in Mandan. With these units, we provide a low maintenance, recreational lifestyle for our clients. We cater to busy individuals who want to enjoy the river without the hassle of maintaining a home. The units feature docks, sand beaches, fire pits, etc.
What I do every day: My business is secondary to my job at NDSU, so most work is done on evenings and weekends. This includes showings, book keeping, improving processes, maintaining units, buying/selling properties, and continuously learning.
Successes (best part): The best part about having a business is creating something. Your vision and efforts directly impact the direction of the business and whether it makes it or not. Other benefits can include added security, flexibility, and meeting new people.
Challenges: Time management, work/life balance
Advice for other YP’ers:
- Get started: Ideas aren’t equitable; put them in motion. If possible, stick your toes in while you have another source of income. Save up if transitioning from employment to ownership.
- Get help: Determine what your good at, and hire ‘smarter’ people for those things you are not (and for things you don’t have the resources to do).
- Ask questions: never quit learning.
- Put aside operating funds to weather downturns and emergencies.
- Be prepared to put your time in: Successful businesses aren’t made of 40 hr. weeks.
- Treat customers and employees fairly and with respect; they determine your success.
Interested in being featured as an Entrepreneur Spotlight, attend an Entrepreneur Team meeting on the first Monday of each month. A full listing of team meetings can be found here.